Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Women Heading South - Waaaay South

Photo by Harry Kikstra, ExposedPlanet.com

I recently came across this website about a new expedition planned for 8 women from Commonwealth nations to ski to the South Pole. They're still looking for some of the women, so if you think you'd like to try out, check out the criteria.

I have a not-so-secret desire to visit Antarctica. I think the emptiness of it is fascinating, and the wildlife amazing. The landscape in hundreds of shades of white blows my mind. So needless to say, this new expedition got me thinking - am I up to that sort of challenge?

I think the short answer is 'no'. I have serious doubts about my ability to get into the kind of physical shape the trip would require. I'm also not sure that I have the determination to stick it out through what could be pretty extreme conditions.

Last but not least, I shudder at the idea of having to find sponsorship of the kind this expedition will require! Asking corporations for thousands of dollars is not my idea of a fun time.

On the other hand - I would love to be on hand to record what happens down there. So if they're looking for some communications support from an Antarctic base - sign me up!

No comments: