Sunday, March 04, 2007

But... it was on sale!

There's no two ways about it, good backpacking gear can get pretty pricey. I've always been something of a bargain hunter, so I tend to get sticker shock of the highest degree when I look at quality outdoor clothing. $30 for a pair of socks? I don't think so!

You can imagine my excitement then, when G told me that one of New Zealand's top outdoor clothing brands, Earth Sea Sky, was having a clearance sale over the weekend. He's a big fan of their stuff, and owns a good range of it. I'm more likely to admire it from afar, and wish it didn't cost so much. Then buy something manufactured in China for half the price.

I was surprised at how much stock they actually had at the sale. I was expecting odds and ends, but there was actually a pretty wide range of stuff. And the discounts were significant enough that I didn't just let out a heavy sigh and leave. Instead I dug around to see what they had in my size.

I've been camping with the same rubbery rain jacket for six or seven years. It's waterproof and reasonably light, but it doesn't breathe, so I only put it on if I'm going to get soaked otherwise. So I've kinda been keeping an eye out for a nice, lightweight rain jacket to replace it. But of course the minute I see the $300 price tag for a waterproof breathable, I just put it back on the rack. It may well be worth the price, but I can't seem to convince myself that I need one that badly.

So when I saw them on sale for a mere $199, I had to think long and hard. It's still a lot of money, but significantly less than the regular price. Best of all, they had a pretty "raspberry" coloured one in my size. Not only is it a good colour on me, it also makes me slightly less likely to be accidentally fired on by hunters, and easier for G to find me if I wander off along the wrong trail.

After some debate, G made it clear that I'd be leaving the shop with that jacket, even if he had to buy it for me. So I bit the proverbial bullet and decided to invest in a good piece of outerwear at last. And, well, I just had to pick up a merino wool 3/4 sleeve top while I was at it. In "lipstick" pink. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

So thanks to the folks at Earth Sea Sky for deciding to clear out last year's leftovers. Now I can look legit on the trails - not to mention fabulous in raspberry!

2 comments:

Determinist said...

So - "breathable" huh? Have you tried it, what's it like? Does it REALLY breath, or are they just saying that?

My last breathable was gore-tex, which I loved, but didn't really see how it was actually breathing.

Let us know how it goes.

Maple Kiwi said...

No, I haven't tried it yet because, contrary to the law of averages, it hasn't rained!

The way I see it, clothing that breathes is good--clothing that snores in bad!

But I did fold it up into its little travel pouch. Did I mention it comes with a pouch? How fancy!