Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Bus to Paradise


I've never owned a car. I'm not a big fan of driving, and I have always been fortunate enough to live somewhere with public transit good enough to get me where I want to go most of the time.

However, as a person who loves getting away to wilderness areas, not having a car is a real problem sometimes. Public transit doesn't tend to reach the wilderness. So I have worked around this in the past by relying on friends, clubs, etc. to get me out of town.

Now, a group in Toronto is trying to get a bus service up and running on summer weekends between the city an Algonquin Provincial Park. For those unfamiliar with Algonquin, it's an absolutely HUGE park around 3-4 hours north of Toronto. It has campgrounds, cabins, and a very extensive backcountry, most of which is only accessible by canoe.

The idea of getting dropped off at the park by bus, and picked up again to return to the city, would have been like a dream come true for me when I lived in Toronto! So I'm really hoping this gets off the ground, even though it's too late for me. I'm also hoping it sets an example that others may follow - making it easier for those without their own cars to access the wilderness, and also giving people the "greener" option of leaving their cars at home.

If you want to find out more about the proposed "Park Bus" service - check out their website: http://www.parkbus.ca/

3 comments:

Jason said...

That does sound awesome. The Yosemite area has a pretty decent transportation system for people that want to venture into the park.

http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

Tent Rentals said...

Yosemite area has beautiful waterfall views. Everybody can enjoy the vacation at Yosemite national park.

Dan said...

If there is a will there is a way. That should be our motto in this king of activity. Nothing should stop us from doing what we always wanted to do. Just go, go, and go. Nothing is impossible.