Monday, September 03, 2007

Glamping in Alaska

Me in 2003, looking glamperous in Alaska.

An acquaintance of mine just came back from an Alaskan cruise, which got me feelling nostalgic about the two weeks I spent there in 2003 on a camping tour. I suppose it's the closest I've come to "glamping", since it was a guided trip and not much hard work. We stayed at campgrounds and travelled from place to place in a van. But that was the only way to see a wide range of Alaskan scenery in a limited amount of time, so I have no regrets about not doing it "hard core."

This trip predates my switch to digital photography (yes, I was a late bloomer) but I did scan a few pics, so I thought I'd share them here:
A perfect mirror lake in southern Alaska


Our campsite in Valdez, next to a waterfall.

Me with our guide, Jay, at the top of a short hike.

Jay with another of our group on the same hike.

Jay preparing some fresh, Alaskan salmon


The top of Mt. McKinley (Denali) from the scenic flight I took. We saw a few climbers on the summit as we flew past.


Exploring an old gold mine.

3 comments:

dogscratcher said...

Even though most things were taken care of for you, I wouldn't call it "glamping" if you had to sleep in a Eureka Timberline.

Maple Kiwi said...

lol! I'm just glad I didn't have to carry the tent. I guess that wasn't 5-star glamping. Maybe 2-star - like the Holiday Inn of glamping ;o)

unknown said...

Alaska is a wonderful place. In Alaska you can see northern lights and you can enjoy so many adventures. So plan Northern lights vacation alaska now.